While winter seems like it’s already been around for far too long, its influence on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly lower those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 803-265-4208. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy West Columbia weather.