Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc. in West Columbia about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc.. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc. about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your West Columbia home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc. a call at 803-265-4208.