Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in West Columbia, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc. can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Tri City Fuel & Heating Co., Inc. in West Columbia a call to begin. Contact our team at 803-265-4208 or arrange an appointment with us online.